I hope you all had a wonderful Fourth of July full of family, friends, cookouts and fireworks!
I am so excited to share this project with you all today! It's been on my "To Do" list for months and I couldn't be happier to have it finished and turn out better than I imagined.
My kids art table is used daily and I wanted to create a space that was just for them. I've always loved the look of these handmade family math signs, but at $121 a piece buying them was out of the question. The good thing is I knew I could easily make my own wood flash cards for a fraction of the price.
SUPPLIES NEEDED
Affiliate links have been used for your convenience. For more information visit my disclosure policy here.
- Precut Birch Plywood 1/8 x 12 x 24
- 14 feet of 1/2 x 3/4 Pine
- Minwax Espresso Stain
- Sliding Compound Miter Saw (I have this one)
- Permanent Marker
- Black Craft Paint
- Paint Brush, Ruler, Sand Paper
I kept this project simple and opted to use precut birch plywood that I picked up from a local craft store for about $5.00 a piece.
While the paint was drying I measured and cut my trim pieces. This is my first project using my new saw and I have to say, I love it! It's the only saw I've owned with a laser and let me tell you it makes a world of difference. If you don't own a fancy saw you can always use a simple hand saw.
After I had my eight trim pieces cut I stained each one using Minwax Espresso stain. I also stained the sides of both plywood pieces to ensure the trim pieces blended in nicely.
Next it was time to print and lay out my numbers. After I had my numbers cut and where I wanted them I traced each one with a pen and ruler, making sure to press firmly to make an impression in the wood. It can be a little hard to see the imprinted numbers in the wood, so I like to outline my numbers in permanent marker before filing them in with paint.
After everything was dry I attached the outer frame pieces using wood glue.
I didn't take pictures of the next step, but I did distress the numbers a bit with sand paper, wax and aging dust then added 2 sawtooth hooks for easy hanging.
I love, love, LOVE how the flash cards turned out and couldn't be happier with the kids art/homework space.
It's always a good feeling when you can create a project for a fraction of the original price. I'll even go as far as saying these giant wood flash cards are now my favorite DIY wall art project.























0 Yorumlar