[Revisit Review]
Despite its linear story, the events in Carl Theodor Dreyer's
Vampyr seem to take place out of order. Characters are only properly identified and introduced after they have had much screen time; they linger in strange environments that they have been led to for seemingly no reason; the idea of a vampire is only introduced at about the half-way mark of the film's run-time. It’s like a lucid dream that you keep losing track of and have to periodically refocus and replay back up to the point where your mind slipped. The imagery is damn near unparalleled in its ability to disquiet and discomfort. As rudimentary as the special effect is, the living, disembodied shadows that populate the sets galvanize me with a sickening loathing and dread that I rarely feel in horror films. I'm still not sure I understand why happens in
Vampyr. And I doubt that I will understand it even if I watch it another 3 times. I will simply just get lost in the imagery, much like how Peter Bogdanovich claimed to have watched Orson Welles'
Touch of Evil (1958) "four of five times before [he] noticed the story."
9/10
0 Yorumlar